Well-being is a broad condition whose conception and scope go beyond the meanings we routinely give. It is an essential part of the individual’s health.
One’s whole life can be improved by paying attention to one’s well-being. Some care and initiatives are enough to achieve good results.
What Is Wellness?
But, after all, what is well-being?
The term appeared for the first time during the 16th century to designate the satisfaction of the individual’s physical needs. The meaning advanced, and today, well-being is considered a state where needs are met, and satisfaction with life is present.
The needs referred to today are wider than physical demands at the time of the term’s origin. So, as a result, today, there are many types of wellness.
What Are The Types Of Wellness?
Once again, the WHO above definition indicates 3 types of well-being, which will be discussed below. Follow along.
Physical well-being is a condition of the body, perceived by the conscience, in which diseases are absent and the organism has good general functioning. This means that metabolism and vital functions are in relative balance.
In physical well-being, the person feels good, healthy and in the mood for activities such as walking. Likewise, in the daily routine, he performs his activities normally and without discomfort or exhaustion at the end of the day.
Mental well-being is the emotional balance between our external experiences and what we feel. It can be translated as the result of the individual’s ability to manage their experiences by constructively internalizing them.
Mental well-being is much easier the better the conditions of the environment where you live and work. Hence the importance of companies in this aspect of the health of their employees.
Social well-being is sometimes also referred to as quality of life. It is a conception that involves society as a whole, encompassing aspects such as monetary wealth, access to goods and services, degree of freedom and environmental health, among others.
Its feasibility goes beyond the reach of the individual and the company where he works, mainly resulting from public policies. For this reason, the focus will be on the first two considered, the physical and the mental.
What Is The Importance Of Well-Being?
Well-being is an implicit component of health; in its absence, the individual is not healthy. In this case, he may suffer the consequences that the absence of this state of satisfaction usually causes.
However, the importance of physical or mental well-being lies in the benefits it provides to the person and his work. Discover the main ones:
- facilitates control over emotions;
- allows you to see life with more optimistic eyes;
- motivates the adoption of healthy habits;
- helps to avoid depression and anxiety;
- reduces the incidence of disease ;
- improves relationships with others;
- confers a sense of belonging;
- strengthens engagement and reduces absenteeism in the company;
- helps retain the company’s talent;
- stimulates productivity;
- reduces the chances of an accident at work.
In turn, there is an interaction between physical and mental well-being, in which one strengthens and facilitates the development of the other. Thus, being physically well is essential to keep mental health current.
At the same time, discomforts and feelings that sadden the soul can also interfere with the organism and bring health disturbances. Therefore, the well-being of the individual, in its broadest sense, is indispensable for a full life as a person and collaborator in a company.
How To Improve Your Well-Being?
Each person can work towards improving their well-being and enjoying the benefits it provides. Learn about the main initiatives and changes in habits that you can take to improve:
- Have a healthy diet: a healthy diet avoids greater efforts by the body to obtain what it needs to build health;
- Drink water regularly: many functions of the organism depend on the regular absorption of water, but especially the use of nutrients from the diet, the regulation of the body temperature and the elimination of toxins;
- Adopt a physical activity: a physical activity, even a simple walk taken regularly, brings a wide range of advantages for the whole body and, above all, for emotional health;
- Always try to sleep well: sleeping well is always essential and, therefore, discover ways that make it easier for you to meet this right and this need;
- Cultivate good social relationships: it is the basis of social health since it is good for you and for those with whom you relate;
- Avoid harmful habits: sedentary lifestyle, smoking, consumption of alcohol and other narcotics should be avoided, especially their excessive consumption, which is destructive of well-being;
- Adopt a relaxation technique: relaxation techniques are a great help on the path of balancing physical and mental health, so choose one with which you identify more;
- Improve your self-knowledge: take the time and learn more about yourself, your great travel companion in this life;
- Do things you like: frequent a wellness space, give yourself some pleasure and leisure time doing things you like.
As you can see, improving well-being is not difficult, but it requires some attention and dedication. Your whole life starts to improve when you take the time to ensure your well-being is complete.
Also Read: Six Tips To Speed Up Metabolism