Mozzarella in Carrozza is the classic “street” food, which can be made at home in no time. One of those recipes seems very simple to make. Given the short time it takes to make it. In reality, most people, when faced with breadcrumbs, mozzarella, eggs, oil, and bread, don’t know where to start to get the perfect Mozzarella in Carrozza, golden and crunchy at the right point. Perhaps not everyone knows that mozzarella in Carrozza can be cooked in two different ways: fried and baked. The baked one has far fewer calories and is much lighter than the fried ones.
The History Of Mozzarella In Carrozza
Mozzarella in Carrozza is a typical dish of the Italian peninsula and is very popular in the South. It seems that it was born in Campania in the nineteenth century. Although the Romans claim the recipe is theirs, it was designed to recycle leftover buffalo mozzarella and bread. The original Campania recipe provides for the exclusive use of buffalo mozzarella, despite being particularly watery.
Precisely for this reason, if you use buffalo mozzarella, it must be drained for a few hours. This recipe takes the name of mozzarella in Carrozza because the cheese slices are wrapped in two slices of bread (which act as a carriage), breaded in breadcrumbs, and then fried. So the crunchy wrapping that is obtained “protects” the softness of the mozzarella, just like a princess is protected inside her carriage di lei.
The Recipe For Mozzarella In Carrozza
Usually, to make this delicious dish, bread is used for the wrapper, even if it is not exactly an excellent and top-quality product. It is used because this recipe needs bread that has an elastic, soft, and dense crumb at the same time. It is not always easy to find this type of fresh bread on the market. For this reason, the choice falls on the packaged one (pancarré and sandwich bread).
As for mozzarella, there are two different currents of thought. According to the Companions, as per tradition, buffalo mozzarella should be used in an absolute way. On the contrary, according to the natives of Lazio, fiordilatte mozzarella should be used. It is preferable to use fiordilatte mozzarella because it is less watery than buffalo mozzarella. But if you want to follow the original Campana recipe step by step, you will need to let the buffalo mozzarella drain for hours.
Roast Mozzarella In Carrozza
Preparing baked mozzarella in Carrozza is easy. Very few ingredients are enough to obtain an exceptional dish. Unlike fried mozzarella in Carrozza, the latter is excellent to be consumed cold the next day. It lends itself very well as a packed lunch, but not only that, such a simple and tasty dish is ideal for surprising friends and relatives who come for dinner. Moreover, being easily digestible is perfect for those who do not want to get too heavy (especially before going to bed). Mozzarella in Carrozza is a dish that everyone likes, young and old. But how is it prepared? Follow the recipe step by step and enjoy the result.
Ingredients For Four People
- 200 gr of Fiordilatte Mozzarella (or buffalo mozzarella);
- 16 slices of White bread or Pancarré (without crust);
- Two eggs;
- flour to taste;
- breadcrumbs to taste;
- Salt and Pepper To Taste;
- One tablespoon of milk (only in case of need);
- Cut the mozzarella into thin slices or strips;
- If you use the bread, take care to remove the crust from the bread, using a knife;
- Choose the shape you want to give to your mozzarella in Carrozza and cut the slices of bread as you prefer (triangle, square, etc.);
- Once you have missed the bread and mozzarella, insert the mozzarella slices between two slices of bread. The mozzarella must never protrude from the edges of the sandwich. You can help yourself with your fingers to make the edges stick together;
- Separately, prepare three dishes or three containers where you will put: eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs;
- Beat the eggs in a container, adding a little salt and pepper (add a tablespoon of milk if necessary);
- Once you have beaten the eggs, take the sandwiches prepared previously and carefully dip them into the eggs, paying particular attention to the edges;
- Then pass the sandwiches in the flour, then again in the eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs;
- Once you have carried out this procedure for all the slices, place them on a baking sheet (with parchment paper on top) and let them cook in the oven at 180 ° C for about 20 minutes;
- Once your mozzarella in Carrozza is golden, it can be served hot and stringy.
The Variants Of Mozzarella In Carrozza
There are many variations for this delicious dish. To give it an extra touch, together with mozzarella, you can choose to add anchovies or ham. Or, instead of the classic white bread, you can use whole meal, spelled, or Kamut bread. Even celiac can enjoy this delicious dish. It will be enough to use soft and gluten-free bread specially designed for those allergic to gluten (usually made with corn or rice flour) instead of bread. Even vegans and lactose intolerants can enjoy this delicious recipe. There is vegan mozzarella (soy-based) and lactose-free mozzarella.